Tuesday 21 July 2015

Knitting On BBC Radio 4

Image courtesy of the BBC
I really enjoy listening to the radio whilst I'm knitting and BBC Radio 4 of mine is a favourite for its news programmes, comedies, dramas and documentaries. I'm a bit late to the party but was delighted to find on the BBC's Radio Player, which allows licence fee holders to listen again to programmes, a page dedicated to programmes about knitting.

From the serious, looking at knitting during the Libyan war; to the interesting, finding out what Kaffe Fassett's Desert Island Discs are; and then to the pure fun of Christmas jumper fashion, this collection will while away many happy knitting hours.

There's even a pattern to knit the Woman's Hour tea cosy! Tongue in cheek I hope ...

Image courtesy of Brityarn.co.uk
In a previous post I discussed yarn choices for the Scollay knit-along. I decided on a wonderfully bright pink Fyberspates yarn but when I test knitted with it I realised that it was too soft and scrumptious to retain the cardigan's shape. I'll use this yarn later in the year to knit a jumper pattern from Artesano that I have my eye on. That will be a lovely, squishy, summer cover up.

To replace the Fyberspates yarn I bought Blacker West Country Tweed DK, which is a British bred and spun wool from Brityarn. It's sturdier than the Fyberspates, if not as soft, and I adore the little flecks of other colours in my chosen purple shade.

The cast on party was last Friday and, once again, I'm a bit late to the party (I'm sensing a theme here!) but I'm looking forward to getting stuck in. To my surprise Brityarn doesn't sell needles and I had to buy two circular needles in sizes I don't already own from another internet retailer.  Once they've arrived in the post, which should be tomorrow, I'll be listening to the BBC Radio 4 knitting programmes on my laptop and casting on my Scollay.


No comments:

Post a Comment

© A Woolly Yarn. Powered by