Tuesday 10 February 2015

Mrs Moon Plump DK Review & Free Neckwarmer Pattern

Mrs Moon Plump DK shade Rhubarb Crumble
It's always a pleasure to test out new wool and when I heard that Mrs Moon, the yarn store based in St Margarets that turned internet-only after Christmas, was launching a DK version of their chunky plump yarn I couldn't wait to get it on my needles.

The original chunky plump is ethically sourced and very squishy indeed, but as you'd imagine it's only suitable for large-stitched designs. Plump DK comprises of 80% new merino and 20% baby alpaca, giving it the softness of its older sister but more pattern versatility due to being DK weight.  Recommended needle size is 4 - 4.5mm and the yarn is hand wash only. 

Mrs Moon sent me the 'rhubarb crumble' shade, which I'd describe as peachy/pink. It comes as a hank, meaning you have to roll it into a ball yourself, but I found that the fibres didn't stick together and it rolled up easily.

I designed a quick and easy neckwarmer pattern (one hank doth not a cowl or snood make!) to knit with the yarn. Plump DK is soft against the skin and I think that its texture makes it perfect for a neckwarmer or scarf. As it's slightly fuzzy it doesn't show intricate lace or stitch patterns up well, therefore I plumped (ahem - sorry!) for a rib pattern.

Neckwarmer pattern by A Woolly Yarn



With a 4mm circular needle cast on 110 stitches. Join in the round being careful not to to twist the stitches.

Knit two rows then purl two rows. Repeat 11 times.

Knit two more rows then cast off knitwise.

This left me with enough yarn left to sew up with and more. I am, however, quite a tight knitter, therefore if you are a loose knitter you may need to only repeat the knit two rows and purl two rows 10 times in order to have enough left to finish off.

Here's the cosy finished result!


1 comment:

  1. Really glad you liked it :) think the colour looks fab on you
    x

    ReplyDelete

© A Woolly Yarn. Powered by